Skip to main content

What a Pain!



It has been a while since my last post, I just haven’t had the umph needed to write. I have had plenty of things rattle around in my head to write about, but I just haven’t sat down and started typing. So, here we go today, I am sitting down, typing…

I hesitate to write about pain, for many reasons but I keep coming back to it so I think it is something I need to write about. There are so many levels and types of pain, it is a challenge to write about ones experience without fully understanding another’s.

I have recently been diagnosed with Adenomyosis and finally have a diagnosis for pain I have been experiencing for three years. Fortunately the pain has been manageable with just the last year being the most intense. Chronic pain differs from acute pain (in my experience) because chronic pain is nagging where as if you have acute kidney stone pain, there is no managing that, you just take the pain meds or get to the hospital as quickly as possible.

So, here I am in my 30’s and experiencing pain of some sort 3 out of 4 weeks a month, sometimes I have only one week with “bad pain” but other months it is more. How do I deal? Ah, that has been my journey these last months. You face so many emotions, anger, frustration, confusion, and even depression if you aren’t careful.

Please do not think I am some pain expert, my pain really isn’t as severe as many many others. With that being said, I have had to alter some things in my life and with my kiddos I have felt just awful to have to tell them no “because Mommy doesn’t feel like it” or “Mommy’s hurting today.” It is a really low feeling to have to sit on the sidelines and watch your children play knowing that you just can’t.

Ah, but my story is no sad one to tell! You want to know why? Because of HIM!! Oh, how he is teaching me and growing me up in Him through this time. So, as I wait out a couple more months of medicine and look toward a surgery that is heading my way, this is how I plan to deal.

·         Thankful Heart – I mean when the pain is bad, just start thanking the Lord for anything and everything you can think of. I can testify this works, there have been times when I couldn’t fall asleep and didn’t want to take pain medication that I would just start Thanking Him and fall asleep before I knew it. What a blessing this has become in my life!

·         Focus on Others – Ach, I am still working on this one because when you are in pain, you are thinking about the pain!! However, with three children, if I can just get the focus off me and on them or someone else, the pain is less debilitating (because I’m not thinking about it so hard).

·         Get a Hobby – Now, I confess I haven’t done this at all yet. Outside of reading a good book, I don’t have any hobbies. But when my pain is giving me a fit and I am just sitting down, I feel so frustrated with nothing productive to do. I am hoping to learn to crochet or something soon, but you could do all sorts of things that don’t require exertion.   

·         Natural Remedies – There is a ton of information on the internet about Herbal remedies and beyond. I use Ginger (as an herbal extract) for the pain, it doesn’t eliminate but definitely seems to lessen it. I am just not a fan of popping a pill with every pain. I do understand some pain is so acute that pain meds are required but I am not in that place yet.

·         Pray Through It – This seems obvious and similar to the first one. But be honest with the Lord, tell Him how you hurt and how frustrated it makes you, how sad you are because you feel like you are missing out on life. He understands!! And, He wants you to bare your heart to Him.

Pain has many faces and comes in many forms, beyond the physical pain there is emotional and more. Whatever pain you are facing today, I hope my own experience can be an encouragement to you. You are not alone, HE is always with you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Real

A week ago today, my youngest son made the most important decision of his young life. He gave his heart and life to Jesus! As a parent, there is no greater joy than to see your child come to Jesus. I know there are some who don’t believe as I do, but I implore you not to stop reading this post. Please just read my account and allow my words to sink into your heart. Friday we decided to go to a campmeeting in NC for its final night to hear an aged man of God preach. I am going to be honest here and confess that I was really tired and considered staying home (thank God I did not). We arrived at the campground and immediately saw our former pastor (where we call our home church), I was so excited as I had not seen him in a quite a while and it was a treat to see him and his dear wife. As it turns out the tent was quite full and we had to sit separate, Jason sat in front of me and the kids with our home pastor and his wife. Throughout the service I recall looking over at Chan

Husbands, Do You Flirt with your Wife?

I must write a disclaimer before I go too far in this post. This post is not my attempt at marriage advice, counseling or judgment. It is simply a glimpse into our life, which is what this blog is about, our Little Journey in Faith. We will celebrate 16 years of marriage this August and in that time have faced many challenges and obstacles, just as all marriages face. We have gone through a miscarriage, financial ruin, loss of jobs, moving, spiritual warfare, temptation, backsliding, child-rearing, surgeries, and in these days physical pain. Not to mention the personal battles that are not for others to read about. But, today, I want to remind all the husbands out there of the importance of flirting or wooing your wife. Husbands, do you remember those early days of dating when you would do anything to make your girl smile? The thrill of seeing her look at you with love in her eyes? Did you know that you can still experience that? You can still have the playful banter of those dati

Super Mom!

(I'm using an old pic today because I couldn't get a new one to upload~ugh computers)  As I sit and write this post I feel on the verge of screaming, crying and pulling out my hair.Yesterday was our first day back to school and our first day getting back on the potty training schedule. And everything went soooo smooth! The boys studied so hard and didn't complain even once. Addison went potty at least 5 times and actually seemed happy about it. I even baked homemade Pita Bread for lunch. Yesterday I felt like Super Mom!! Then I woke up today... It is early afternoon and my little one is napping and the boys are just finishing up school. And I just want to cry! Why? Well, let's just say today was not quite as smooth and I wasn't quite the Super Mom I felt like yesterday. School was a bit more stressful, more tests, more lessons in diagraming (so glad I'm not in 5th grade), more potty accidents, more papers lost, more messes made and so forth. Really, j