Skip to main content

What I'm Reading: September



“No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books.”
  Elizabeth Barrett Browning
I have always loved to read, some people love it others hate it. Me, I have always enjoyed a good book. When I was younger I mostly read novels, you know those kinds of books you can just escape life in? Those are the good ones, the ones you stay up way to late reading because you just can't put them down. Yeah, books like that are great.

However, as I have grown (older I suppose) I began broadening my reading horizons. I have learned how life changing a good biography can be, how spiritually I can grow when reading after a missionary or preacher. So, with that in mind, I want to include in the blog every couple of months what I'm reading.


This biography we are reading together as a family. We started several years ago reading at night together. I highly recommend this practice, as it has been such a blessing to our family. Reading is a great way to unwind in the evening and enjoy quality time together.


This book I checked out from the library, it's a pretty good reference on essential oils, helpful for everyday uses as well as plant background.


This is a biography of sorts written about Isobel Kuhn, missionary to the Lisu people in China. I just finished this book for the second time. It is really just a great read. It's truly amazing to read her story and see not only how God provided for her and her family but how God saved souls and changed lives in China in those days (before the days of Communism).


This book was a life-changer. Seriously. I highly recommend this read for anyone really wanting to serve the Lord, no matter the cost.

"I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize the Lord is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult, His grace is sufficient."
Hudson Taylor





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Real

A week ago today, my youngest son made the most important decision of his young life. He gave his heart and life to Jesus! As a parent, there is no greater joy than to see your child come to Jesus. I know there are some who don’t believe as I do, but I implore you not to stop reading this post. Please just read my account and allow my words to sink into your heart. Friday we decided to go to a campmeeting in NC for its final night to hear an aged man of God preach. I am going to be honest here and confess that I was really tired and considered staying home (thank God I did not). We arrived at the campground and immediately saw our former pastor (where we call our home church), I was so excited as I had not seen him in a quite a while and it was a treat to see him and his dear wife. As it turns out the tent was quite full and we had to sit separate, Jason sat in front of me and the kids with our home pastor and his wife. Throughout the service I recall looking over at Chan

Husbands, Do You Flirt with your Wife?

I must write a disclaimer before I go too far in this post. This post is not my attempt at marriage advice, counseling or judgment. It is simply a glimpse into our life, which is what this blog is about, our Little Journey in Faith. We will celebrate 16 years of marriage this August and in that time have faced many challenges and obstacles, just as all marriages face. We have gone through a miscarriage, financial ruin, loss of jobs, moving, spiritual warfare, temptation, backsliding, child-rearing, surgeries, and in these days physical pain. Not to mention the personal battles that are not for others to read about. But, today, I want to remind all the husbands out there of the importance of flirting or wooing your wife. Husbands, do you remember those early days of dating when you would do anything to make your girl smile? The thrill of seeing her look at you with love in her eyes? Did you know that you can still experience that? You can still have the playful banter of those dati

Little Lessons in Faith

Last weekend, Jason and I had the privilege to go and work with a missionary who is beginning a church plant in the states. He has been a missionary for many years and has planted five churches in five countries throughout his ministry. I made a late decision in the week to travel with Jason so I really began the trip by scurrying around to make sure I had all I needed packed. We took Miss Addison with us and if you have a little one you know there are always a million things you can’t forget! As we start our journey very early Saturday morning I ask (for at least the fifth time) where we are to meet the missionary. My husband replies (for at the least the fifth time) “I don’t know honey, he said he would tell us when we get closer.” I smile and try not to stress, as I am planner and when a trip is involved I have it ALL planned weeks before! True to his word, about 30 minutes before our arrival we get a phone call with directions on where to meet. Now, we are heading his way and af