Skip to main content

Be Prepared




II Chronicles 12:14
"And he did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the Lord."

Ah, these days we are living in! We are hearing all sorts of horror stories on the news, and the internet is even worse, if we aren't careful we will be afraid to leave our house without a hazmat suit. Can you picture it? My little family of five leaving the house for church in hazmat suits?? Okay, I know it's not that funny, but seriously some days I'm tempted to at least don a face mask.

II Chronicles 12:14 isn't talking about being prepared for the end of the world, but actually has more value for Christians than making sure our pantry is stocked to feed our whole family for at least 30 days (and I'm all for that).

The word prepare means - In a general sense, to fit, adapt or qualify for a particular purpose, end, use, service or state, by any means. 

Wow, looks like we've got lots of prepping to do! The verse in II Chronicles is talking about King Rehoboam and that he did not prepare his heart to seek the Lord. Interestingly enough the verse before talks about the strength of Rehoboam, it appears that physical strength was not at all what King Rehoboam needed to be prepared.

So, fast forward to modern day, where you and I live. What does any of this have to do with where we live today and the things we are facing?  I suppose it depends on what you are preparing for...

The headlines are screaming at us of the health dangers all around, the terror threats that keep changing names, the education demands that put stress on our children, and on the list goes. But really, how much can we do to change any of that? I mean, we can santize everywhere we go, stock up on food and ammo, and help with homework but does that really change the circumstances? 

So, as Children of God what are we to prepare for? 

I Samuel 7:3
"And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel saying, If ye do return unto the Lord with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the Lord, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines."

Oh, if we could just see how far we've gone from our dear Saviour, I'm sure we would see the need to prepare our hearts to serve him and to seek him. The days are indeed evil, but if you are a child of the King, you need not fear. But just as fear is not needed, preparing is. 

So, today's blog is a little part of my heart and how the Lord is teaching me how to prepare my heart to him. Perhaps I'll dive deeper into this thought in my next post. Either way, I'd like you to join me in the prepping, ask your Father to show you how to prepare as I do the same.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Real

A week ago today, my youngest son made the most important decision of his young life. He gave his heart and life to Jesus! As a parent, there is no greater joy than to see your child come to Jesus. I know there are some who don’t believe as I do, but I implore you not to stop reading this post. Please just read my account and allow my words to sink into your heart. Friday we decided to go to a campmeeting in NC for its final night to hear an aged man of God preach. I am going to be honest here and confess that I was really tired and considered staying home (thank God I did not). We arrived at the campground and immediately saw our former pastor (where we call our home church), I was so excited as I had not seen him in a quite a while and it was a treat to see him and his dear wife. As it turns out the tent was quite full and we had to sit separate, Jason sat in front of me and the kids with our home pastor and his wife. Throughout the service I recall looking over at Chan

Husbands, Do You Flirt with your Wife?

I must write a disclaimer before I go too far in this post. This post is not my attempt at marriage advice, counseling or judgment. It is simply a glimpse into our life, which is what this blog is about, our Little Journey in Faith. We will celebrate 16 years of marriage this August and in that time have faced many challenges and obstacles, just as all marriages face. We have gone through a miscarriage, financial ruin, loss of jobs, moving, spiritual warfare, temptation, backsliding, child-rearing, surgeries, and in these days physical pain. Not to mention the personal battles that are not for others to read about. But, today, I want to remind all the husbands out there of the importance of flirting or wooing your wife. Husbands, do you remember those early days of dating when you would do anything to make your girl smile? The thrill of seeing her look at you with love in her eyes? Did you know that you can still experience that? You can still have the playful banter of those dati

Super Mom!

(I'm using an old pic today because I couldn't get a new one to upload~ugh computers)  As I sit and write this post I feel on the verge of screaming, crying and pulling out my hair.Yesterday was our first day back to school and our first day getting back on the potty training schedule. And everything went soooo smooth! The boys studied so hard and didn't complain even once. Addison went potty at least 5 times and actually seemed happy about it. I even baked homemade Pita Bread for lunch. Yesterday I felt like Super Mom!! Then I woke up today... It is early afternoon and my little one is napping and the boys are just finishing up school. And I just want to cry! Why? Well, let's just say today was not quite as smooth and I wasn't quite the Super Mom I felt like yesterday. School was a bit more stressful, more tests, more lessons in diagraming (so glad I'm not in 5th grade), more potty accidents, more papers lost, more messes made and so forth. Really, j