Skip to main content

Winter Blues


“If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
Anne Bradstreet, The Works of Anne Bradstreet


I do enjoy the beauty of the snow and the warmth of Hot Chocolate with the family, but lately I have been craving the warmth of spring and the bright rays of the sunshine. March has arrived and with it the hope of spring, and the end of the cold, long winter. 

Life is full of seasons, just as winter seems barren and hard, spring brings showers of blessings. Lately I have felt I was in winter, the cold outside seemed to mirror the cold within. Not a defeating cold, just a weary cold. Have you ever just felt weary? My body has certainly been weary lately, and sometimes when the body is weary the soul follows suit.

However, as weary as we may be, can you not still see the beauty in the cold? Look how the snow covered trees look so peaceful, how about the pure white of the snow, isn't is peaceful as well? So too, our Lord gives peace in the winter times of life. His Word is a balm to the weary soul, how it comforts and gives peace.

This winter season, the Lord has taught me much about selfishness, and reminded me time and again how consumed with ME I really am. It's easy to do, isn't it? If we wake up in the morning physically hurting, what are our first thoughts? "I don't feel good, what can I do to feel better" How about if we awake with a deep emotional burden, our first thought is still how to make it go away. Don't we as humans want to take away the pain, be it physical, emotional or otherwise? 

But, look at our Lord... Was he selfish when he carried our cross? Oh no! Just hours before Calvary he prayed, "let this cup pass from me: neverthelss not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39b 
Oh let us pray as our Savior did, "not as i will, but as thou wilt." It may not be God's will to take us out of winter, but to take us through it. The Lord has a plan for our winter, HIS way is always right, even in the cold, barren times (especially in the cold, barren times). 


So friend, whatever your winter looks like today, take heart, spring is on the horizon and with it the showers of blessings.



Comments

  1. Oh, what a timely reminder. Honestly, winter is my favourite season (I grew up in Florida ;) ), but this winter I have been especially weary. Lots of "stuff" going on to cause stress and pain, but I did really need the reminder that God is in control, and He works all things for good for those who love Him. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend!!!! I needed this 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent thoughts, I hope you are feeling better., Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Real

A week ago today, my youngest son made the most important decision of his young life. He gave his heart and life to Jesus! As a parent, there is no greater joy than to see your child come to Jesus. I know there are some who don’t believe as I do, but I implore you not to stop reading this post. Please just read my account and allow my words to sink into your heart. Friday we decided to go to a campmeeting in NC for its final night to hear an aged man of God preach. I am going to be honest here and confess that I was really tired and considered staying home (thank God I did not). We arrived at the campground and immediately saw our former pastor (where we call our home church), I was so excited as I had not seen him in a quite a while and it was a treat to see him and his dear wife. As it turns out the tent was quite full and we had to sit separate, Jason sat in front of me and the kids with our home pastor and his wife. Throughout the service I recall looking over at Chan

Husbands, Do You Flirt with your Wife?

I must write a disclaimer before I go too far in this post. This post is not my attempt at marriage advice, counseling or judgment. It is simply a glimpse into our life, which is what this blog is about, our Little Journey in Faith. We will celebrate 16 years of marriage this August and in that time have faced many challenges and obstacles, just as all marriages face. We have gone through a miscarriage, financial ruin, loss of jobs, moving, spiritual warfare, temptation, backsliding, child-rearing, surgeries, and in these days physical pain. Not to mention the personal battles that are not for others to read about. But, today, I want to remind all the husbands out there of the importance of flirting or wooing your wife. Husbands, do you remember those early days of dating when you would do anything to make your girl smile? The thrill of seeing her look at you with love in her eyes? Did you know that you can still experience that? You can still have the playful banter of those dati

Little Lessons in Faith

Last weekend, Jason and I had the privilege to go and work with a missionary who is beginning a church plant in the states. He has been a missionary for many years and has planted five churches in five countries throughout his ministry. I made a late decision in the week to travel with Jason so I really began the trip by scurrying around to make sure I had all I needed packed. We took Miss Addison with us and if you have a little one you know there are always a million things you can’t forget! As we start our journey very early Saturday morning I ask (for at least the fifth time) where we are to meet the missionary. My husband replies (for at the least the fifth time) “I don’t know honey, he said he would tell us when we get closer.” I smile and try not to stress, as I am planner and when a trip is involved I have it ALL planned weeks before! True to his word, about 30 minutes before our arrival we get a phone call with directions on where to meet. Now, we are heading his way and af