Skip to main content

Blind Faith

(If we could only trust our Father the way children trust theirs)


I know we are to walk by faith and not sight, but there are times in our journey when it seems we are truly walking blindly. You know how it is, when you are “feeling” your way around a dark room or you are walking down stairs in the dark and are slowly and carefully putting one foot in front of the other. You want to make sure that when you put your foot down that it has a landing or something solid to hold it. Sometimes, in our lives we are called to walk by faith like that, blindly putting one foot in front of the other not knowing for sure where we will be landing.

Last year, we (my family) stepped out on faith and I quit my job in the work force. That was certainly a HUGE step of faith but I could see a little bit ahead of me. Don’t misunderstand, I couldn’t see how God was going to provide for us without my income and I couldn’t see around the bend but I could at least see the road ahead. It was a step of faith on what seemed to be a well lit path. It was a tough step but I don’t think I would call it a blind step.

However, there are times in our journey of faith where we must step blindly, really not knowing where the steps are taking us. This faith is really tough! I don’t write this blog as an expert on faith (or anything else for that matter), remember I am writing it to document my personal journey in faith. So, here I am at that place, that blind spot, and I really can’t see around the bend or even down the road. If I were to be completely honest I would have to tell you that I can’t even see where I am stepping.

So, how in the world am I going to be able to take the next step? And the one after that?

                “Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.  For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him."    Hebrews 10:35-38

I read a book once where this lady faced many hardships and trials and she would ask the sainted lady who took her in what she was supposed to do, and the lady would simply say “just do the next thing.” I know it sounds trite but it has helped me many times when I just wasn’t sure what direction life was taking me, I would “just do the next thing.” Right now, I am having to practice this blind faith I am writing about, not really knowing where my foot is going to land when I take the next step. So, what am I going to do? I’m going to “just do the next thing.” Tonight that will involve putting away the laundry, cooking dinner, bathing my daughter, and reading the Bible with my family. I don’t know where my foot is going to land tomorrow, but that is okay because I can blindly trust my Saviour to allow my next step to land right where HE wants it to.

                “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.”   Psalm 18:2

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Real

A week ago today, my youngest son made the most important decision of his young life. He gave his heart and life to Jesus! As a parent, there is no greater joy than to see your child come to Jesus. I know there are some who don’t believe as I do, but I implore you not to stop reading this post. Please just read my account and allow my words to sink into your heart. Friday we decided to go to a campmeeting in NC for its final night to hear an aged man of God preach. I am going to be honest here and confess that I was really tired and considered staying home (thank God I did not). We arrived at the campground and immediately saw our former pastor (where we call our home church), I was so excited as I had not seen him in a quite a while and it was a treat to see him and his dear wife. As it turns out the tent was quite full and we had to sit separate, Jason sat in front of me and the kids with our home pastor and his wife. Throughout the service I recall looking over at Chan

Husbands, Do You Flirt with your Wife?

I must write a disclaimer before I go too far in this post. This post is not my attempt at marriage advice, counseling or judgment. It is simply a glimpse into our life, which is what this blog is about, our Little Journey in Faith. We will celebrate 16 years of marriage this August and in that time have faced many challenges and obstacles, just as all marriages face. We have gone through a miscarriage, financial ruin, loss of jobs, moving, spiritual warfare, temptation, backsliding, child-rearing, surgeries, and in these days physical pain. Not to mention the personal battles that are not for others to read about. But, today, I want to remind all the husbands out there of the importance of flirting or wooing your wife. Husbands, do you remember those early days of dating when you would do anything to make your girl smile? The thrill of seeing her look at you with love in her eyes? Did you know that you can still experience that? You can still have the playful banter of those dati

Little Lessons in Faith

Last weekend, Jason and I had the privilege to go and work with a missionary who is beginning a church plant in the states. He has been a missionary for many years and has planted five churches in five countries throughout his ministry. I made a late decision in the week to travel with Jason so I really began the trip by scurrying around to make sure I had all I needed packed. We took Miss Addison with us and if you have a little one you know there are always a million things you can’t forget! As we start our journey very early Saturday morning I ask (for at least the fifth time) where we are to meet the missionary. My husband replies (for at the least the fifth time) “I don’t know honey, he said he would tell us when we get closer.” I smile and try not to stress, as I am planner and when a trip is involved I have it ALL planned weeks before! True to his word, about 30 minutes before our arrival we get a phone call with directions on where to meet. Now, we are heading his way and af