Skip to main content

Just a Little Rest



*Photo was taken in Ghana, West Africa by Ethan Bond


I began writing this blog when I stepped away from public work by faith, I wanted a place to document the Lord taking care of me and my family both financially and spiritually. I have tried to be honest about my struggles and victories, I have always wanted this place to be real. I even stopped writing when the words stopped coming. And the Lord has been faithful, even when I have wandered and doubted, he has been faithful. He is faithful to always give us what we need. And sometimes, we all need a little rest.

Recently, I was struggling physically and forced to "rest." My body just wouldn't cooperate with the millions of things that needed to be done. So, I rested. 

The forced rest made me think, what does rest look like? Maybe it looks different for everyone, but one common thread seems to be the feeling that comes with rest. Kind of like a deep breath and exhale, rest is like one big exhale. Some would picture sitting next to a river, or sitting in a cozy coffee shop with a fresh cup of coffee, or sitting on the beach with the sand in your toes, or laying in a hammock looking at the stars. I could go on and on, because rest looks different for everyone but it feels the same.

If it looks different but feels the same, is it also found the same way? I think so. Exodus 33:14 says "And he said, My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest." We all will find rest in the Lord's presence. Notice the verse didn't say we would "feel" his presence, but that we would find rest IN his presence. It doesn't say anything about a feeling, and yet we all want rest because it "feels" so good. The big exhale, right?

Rest is from the Lord, it is found in his presence. Many of us rush through one thing after the other with little thought of much else but getting through the day, we rush through the day so we can rest. What if we could go through our days resting? I think that is what is intended, that is why so many of us rush through our days so exhausted. We are not abiding in the Lord, we are not resting in his presence.

Joshua 1:5b,6a says "so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good courage." Here again is His presence. If we are rushing through our days and not even ac
knowledging the Lord's presence, how can we expect to have any rest?

Rest is a gift from the Lord, but we also have a responsibility. Isaiah 26:3 says "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee." It is pretty hard to keep our mind on the Lord when we are so very busy.

We live in a society that thrives on things to do. There are so very many things to do. It's time we stop. Stop and take that deep breath so we can exhale in HIS presence. I get it, we have to do this and we have to do that, but somewhere along the way we started making non-essentials, essential. You child does not have to play little league ball year round, your child does not have to learn to play three instruments and take dance lessons. You don't have to book one play date a week and a girls night out once a month. It is really okay for you and your family to experience a little boredom.

Ask the Lord to guide you and what activities you take on and where to say no. Oh, how the Lord is working on me in this area. I do not really know how to say NO, but the Lord is showing me there are times when I really need to. One practical thing the Lord spoke to me about was not scheduling any appointments before lunch. This ensures I have time to spend with the Lord in the morning before my day gets out of control. We can do the work the Lord has given us to do all the while resting in his presence.

 "He taught us to work and watch but never to worry, to do gladly whatever we are given to do, and to leave all else with God." Elisabeth Elliot




Comments

  1. Amen! It is a hard thing to do is to rest and to rest in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Real

A week ago today, my youngest son made the most important decision of his young life. He gave his heart and life to Jesus! As a parent, there is no greater joy than to see your child come to Jesus. I know there are some who don’t believe as I do, but I implore you not to stop reading this post. Please just read my account and allow my words to sink into your heart. Friday we decided to go to a campmeeting in NC for its final night to hear an aged man of God preach. I am going to be honest here and confess that I was really tired and considered staying home (thank God I did not). We arrived at the campground and immediately saw our former pastor (where we call our home church), I was so excited as I had not seen him in a quite a while and it was a treat to see him and his dear wife. As it turns out the tent was quite full and we had to sit separate, Jason sat in front of me and the kids with our home pastor and his wife. Throughout the service I recall looking over at Chan

Husbands, Do You Flirt with your Wife?

I must write a disclaimer before I go too far in this post. This post is not my attempt at marriage advice, counseling or judgment. It is simply a glimpse into our life, which is what this blog is about, our Little Journey in Faith. We will celebrate 16 years of marriage this August and in that time have faced many challenges and obstacles, just as all marriages face. We have gone through a miscarriage, financial ruin, loss of jobs, moving, spiritual warfare, temptation, backsliding, child-rearing, surgeries, and in these days physical pain. Not to mention the personal battles that are not for others to read about. But, today, I want to remind all the husbands out there of the importance of flirting or wooing your wife. Husbands, do you remember those early days of dating when you would do anything to make your girl smile? The thrill of seeing her look at you with love in her eyes? Did you know that you can still experience that? You can still have the playful banter of those dati

Little Lessons in Faith

Last weekend, Jason and I had the privilege to go and work with a missionary who is beginning a church plant in the states. He has been a missionary for many years and has planted five churches in five countries throughout his ministry. I made a late decision in the week to travel with Jason so I really began the trip by scurrying around to make sure I had all I needed packed. We took Miss Addison with us and if you have a little one you know there are always a million things you can’t forget! As we start our journey very early Saturday morning I ask (for at least the fifth time) where we are to meet the missionary. My husband replies (for at the least the fifth time) “I don’t know honey, he said he would tell us when we get closer.” I smile and try not to stress, as I am planner and when a trip is involved I have it ALL planned weeks before! True to his word, about 30 minutes before our arrival we get a phone call with directions on where to meet. Now, we are heading his way and af